Monday, November 12, 2012

Welcome Sara Stinson


Today I have the pleasure of interviewing Sara Stinson author of Finger Bones. 

Hello Sara and welcome to my blog. Please tell us about yourself.

I am a retired Speech-Language Pathologist and draws on my experience of teaching in the education field and living in a small town all her life to create Finger Bones. I live in Alabama with my husband and my two older children, Kendall and Donnie Jr. Also in my household are three cats and one precious dog, Addie.
 



Please tell me about your novel. Who or what was your inspiration behind it?


Finger Bones has been sending ghosts to their next destination for years. Now it’s Wendy’s turn. Like many others, I retired and had some time to spare. I came up with the idea one night while I was eating at a local restaurant. The walls inside are filled with pictures of the people and history of our hometown. One picture was of a well-known African American named Charlie Porter. When I saw the picture, my brain flooded with ideas. Though Finger Bones is a fictional character, Charlie Porter did live all alone in a log cabin and walked to town each day carrying a large sack. As written in my book, rumors were told of the old man we called, Uncle Charlie. (Do know he was well loved and treated with respect by the town.) When he passed away, articles claimed he lived to be around 122 years of age.

What are some of your favorite genres to read and to write?
Honestly, I am an eclectic reader. It depends on my mood. You can visit my blog and view some of my picks for November.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What was the biggest compliment? Did those change how or what you did in your next novel?
 
My toughest criticisms on my book were from the authors on authonomy.com where others could read and comment on Finger Bones. Though they were tough, their criticism encouraged and helped me. I have become a better writer.

If I ever feel the slightest discouragement, I read this review an author wrote on Finger Bones.

"Tonight is the night when dead things fly. When witches on switches fly across the sky. Why when I read your work I'm a young child sitting in great open field surrounded by five hundred year old oaks on a moonlit night having my grandpa tell tales of Ichabod Crane, the loup garou, and the white witch of the swamps? Great writing and you build the worlds well and have that knack of saying just enough to draw us on. Nathaniel Hawthorne, Edgar Allan Poe, and Lovecraft would be proud of this I'm sure."

Or are they reading it now? Hmmmm....

What has been your favorite part of being an author? What has been your least favorite?
I enjoy seeing children’s eyes light up when I read what I have written. I do not like for someone to read my book and then tell me they do not like or read this genre. I want people to enjoy my book. It is a YA book for 3rd grade and up. My mother read it and said she loved it. She said she may be 83, but she forgot to grow up.  

 What is your favorite junk food vice?

  I love skittles!

On a typical weekend, what can we find you doing? Who are you with?

I am with my husband and my dog Addie. We are working around the house or fishing.

Who are your favorite authors?

  I have many favorites. Jacqueline West is one of my favorite Children’s Authors.

What authors inspired you to write this particular novel? Why?

 
Jacqueline West and J.K. Rowling. I have read their books. My style of writing is similar to theirs.

Is there anything else that you would like to share or say to those who will read this interview?
 
If you are writing your first book keep a positive attitude. You are going to be told many things. People have different opinions. You decide what suggestions are best for you and change what works for you. If you become discouraged, step away from your story for two or three weeks. Give yourself time to live. Pace yourself through the book. Do not get in a hurry. This is one of the biggest mistakes authors make. Take your time. You will read your story many, many times. In the end, you will complete a book which is ready for agents. 


Book Synopsis:

 Finger Bones has been sending ghosts to their next destination for many years. Now it's Wendy's turn. The Bridgeville Clipper announces Finger Bones is dead at 122-years of age. Wendy is not upset. He will be back. Finger Bones and Wendy have unfinished business in this small town. When ten-year-old Wendy Dee Winkelmann needs to do some serious thinking she likes to chew bubblegum. While sitting on a bench in town reading, she becomes friends with an old man the townspeople call, Finger Bones. Some locals consider him odd and spread rumors about the ghastly man who lives up a dirt road in an old ramshackle cabin. Yet Wendy knows different, and soon she discovers this old man, who walks to town with a burlap bag tied to a stick, has a special job. He sends ghosts to their next destination, and the stick and burlap bag he carries are magical. Now Wendy chases the lingering spirits, and her two best friends, Claire and Henry, are determined to help her through thick and thin. Soon she finds herself caught up in a devious plan of a dark sinister power, and if it means hurting someone, or worse, it will do whatever is necessary to succeed. It’s all up to Wendy to save Bridgeville before the evil power takes over the town.

You can purchase the book here:  Amazon 





1 comment:

  1. I read some of Sara's book on Authonomy and gave it a good critique. It is an interesting story with characters that grab you.

    ReplyDelete