Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Aspiring New Author Cheryllynn Dyess

Hello Cheryllynn and welcome to the world of published authors. Thank you for taking the time out to interview with me today. Please tell us about yourself.

I am the grandmother of a beautiful little girl and the mother of one wonderful adult daughter and two entertaining teenaged sons from a small southeastern Georgia town and currently residing in Central Texas. I have been educated and worked in health care for more than 17 years and just recently decided to take a new path in life.  I wrote when I was much younger in school and set it aside to handle life. And now I am pursuing my dreams.....I have an awesome support system that allows me to do just that.

 Please tell me about your novel. Who or what was your inspiration behind it?

 I was inspired to write by my partner, Johnny Sirmans, Sr. He told me I had a gift and should share it with the world. With his support and encouragement, I was able to create this series and share my imagination with the world. Jein’s Journey Calastan is the first of a series about a young woman who lives in a matriarch society and chooses not to follow a traditional role. She follows the roles of the man being the hunter, gatherer, and provider instead of leading in government or as a business owner type. In this first book, she is 17 and it follows her through one year. She has conflicts within herself, with her people, friends and family about her choices. She goes on hunts and expeditions and this is her journey.

What are some of your favorite genres to read and to write?


 I like action, mystery and thrillers but my all time favorites are science fiction-fantasy.

When you sit down to write, do you do it the old-fashioned way with pen and paper or do you use a computer? Do you prefer one way or the other?

I like to use the laptop or table to write. I was never big on handwriting much of anything, plus I can never read my own writing.

What do you look for in a book when you sit down to read for fun?

 I need the first five pages to catch my attention, draw me into the story because if not I will walk away from it. To catch my attention the writing must make me feel like I can envision the scene realistically.

When you walk into a book store, where do you head to first? Why?

 Science fiction/ fantasy. That genre has endless opportunities for new creative things to come to life – the imagination is a playground for it.

Did you get to quit your day job and become an author or do you still have a day job and writing is something you do for fun? If you still have a day job, what is it?

 No, I did not quit a job to start writing. I actually started writing then joined Avon as an Independent Sales Representative, plus I home school one child, I am a mom….the list can go on from there.

What is your favorite junk food vice? 

Cheez-It’s and Pepsi

Besides writing and reading, what is your most favorite thing to do?

 I love to be with my family. I enjoy fishing and most things outdoors. Johnny and I like to sit out on the back porch and just enjoy our peaceful life.

Who was your current novel dedicated to? Any particular reason?


 I dedicated this novel to my partner, my closest friends, my children and my granddaughter. My partner for encouraging me to start writing, my friends for encouraging me to continue writing, my children and grandchild to show them that no matter what you never give up on your dreams and goals because they can be achieved.

Who are your favorite authors? 

Edgar Allen Poe is my all time favorite author. I also enjoy Stieg Larsson and Lee Child.





Jein's Journey by Cheryllynn Dyess
ISBN:  978-1477288740 
Softcover (142 pages)
Ebook

Book Synopsis: 
 
Seventeen year-old, Jein is not your typical teenager in a matriarch land. Jein is one of the top three female hunters and continues to struggle to find her way in her society and within herself. In her last year at home she wins the championship at Spring Festivities, beating out all the young men only to be sent a special hunt days after. This is her story, this is her journey.


Purchase the book here:  Amazon | Barnes&Noble | AuthorHouse


Reach the author here: Facebook | Twitter




3 comments:

  1. I loved this interview and can relate to you a bit, Cheryllyn. I too have one grow boy (not married yet)and a daughter still at home. I actually walked away from a 22-year career in higher ed to pursue this dream of writing. I don't have the book published yet, but that's the goal. Thanks for inspiring and reminding me it can be done! I love the premise of your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, thank you so much. To know that I can help inspire others to follow their dreams...Just remember that keeping your dreams in front of you only means your a few steps away from reaching them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear about the lives of different writers, and be reminded that I'm not so different from most everyone else.

    ReplyDelete