Thursday, January 17, 2013

Meet Author Stephanie Jackson

Hello Stephanie and welcome to my blog. Thank you for taking the time to interview with me this afternoon. Why don't you start by telling the readers a little about yourself?

My name is Stephanie Jackson; I prefer to go by Steph. I'm the youngest in a set of quadruplets and I also have two older brothers (they are not twins). My sisters and I have written and published our debut novel, the first of a four-part series, entitled Two Pair: A Quadruple or Nothing Story in September a few days before we turned 20.

I then ventured off and published my own book, the first in a three book series entitled Lasso Me A Mom - A Bluebonnet Novel in late September a few days after I turned 20. So I'm probably one of the only people who can say they published a book when they were 19 and 20.



Please tell me about your novel. Who or what was your inspiration behind it?
Lasso Me a Mom is a story about trust, family, and acceptance. Cassie McGregor and Nikki Turner are two people who never really got along and are forced into a situation that will change their views on each other.

The story for Lasso Me a Mom came to me from a dream. In the dream, Lasso Me a Mom was a movie and I was watching it in theaters. Nancy McKeon (Facts of Life, Sonny with a Chance, The Division), my favorite actress, played one of the two leads Cassie McGregor. She became my inspiration/template for the character Cassie. After I woke up from that dream, I knew I had a great story to tell and I started writing the same morning. Originally the title of this book was going to be called 'Cassie and Nikki' but I felt that it was too plain and too simple.

Lasso Me a Mom – A Bluebonnet Novel is the first in a three book series. I’m currently working on the sequel.


What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What was the biggest compliment? Did those change how or what you did in your next novel?

Well I haven’t gotten much criticism yet. One thing I wish I heard earlier is the “rule” when you use a comma or a period to punctuate the end of dialogue. I was never taught when to use one over the other.

As for the biggest compliment I’ve gotten so far, is that I have made a few readers cry. I’ve always known that I could make a reader laugh but I never thought in a million years that I would have made someone cry especially from my first published book. I shared the news with everyone I talked to.


When you sit down to write, do you do it the old-fashioned way with pen and paper or do you use a computer? Do you prefer one way or the other?

I write on my computer. My hand cramps up easily and I type super fast. I prefer typing on my computer because I can save the files in tons of places whereas if I lost the notebook I was writing in, I’d have to start all over.

When you walk into a book store, where do you head to first? Why?

That’s a tossup between mangas and journals. always been a big fan of mangas ever since I read my first one which was Sailor Moon. And I always buy new journals to reflect on my day.

Did you get to quit your day job and become an author or do you still have a day job and writing is something you do for fun? If you still have a day job, what is it?

No, I didn’t quit my day job. I’m actually a current junior in college. I study, go to classes, and go to work. I find time in between all of that to write.

Did you have any teacher in school that encouraged you to write? Did you take their advice?

Yes, my 6th grade English teacher got me into writing. She was supportive in day one and made me really believe I was creative enough to try. Yes, I took their advice and it pushed me to publish my first book.

What do you listen to when you write? Do you find one type of music over another that inspires you to write? Why?

I listen to Celine Dion specifically her song ‘One Heart’, because it was the song that inspired me to write Lasso Me a Mom because I believe it could be “the song” or the “theme song” for the series or for Cassie and Nikki in general.

What authors inspired you to write this particular novel? Why?

Denise Hunter and Colleen Coble. I read Denise’s Big Sky Romance series and Colleen’s Lonestar Angel series and I fell in love with ranching stories and lifestyles that I decided to tackle the subject myself. However, I did a lot of research to make sure I kept things as accurate as possible.

Is there anything else that you would like to share or say to those who will read this interview?

Yes; Lasso Me a Mom is my first solo published work. I have another book series out that I’m working on with my sisters. We’re quadruplets. The first book is entitled: Two Pair – A Quadruple or Nothing Story and we are currently working in the sequel entitled: Four of a Kind – A Quadruple or Nothing Story. It is a four book series.

Two Pair – A Quadruple or Nothing is available on Amazon.


Which is your favorite character in your book and why?

I’m actually stuck between Nikki and Cloud. I chose Nikki because she doesn’t take crap from anyone and she is very witty and sarcastic and I love those types of people. I also really like Cloud because he has all of the characteristics I’m sure a teenage girl would want plus he knows how to tame Nikki and calm her down.

Lasso Me a Mom by Stephanie Jackson
ASIN:  B009HX2R9I
 Publisher: Amazon Digital Services
E-book

Book blurb: 

Nikki Turner has it all: she’s an honor student, has a popular boyfriend and is a star dancer. However; never is there a time that a smile crosses her face. With a constant frown and a sharp tongue, she doesn’t let anyone get a rise out of her, especially her teacher Cassie McGregor.

When it is revealed that Nikki is homeless and in the foster care system, Cassie, who is a certified foster mother, is chosen to be her temporary guardian, an agreement they both object from the start. As their animosity begins to deplete, Nikki and Cassie realize that what they’ve always wanted just might bring them closer.

This is the first book by Stephanie Jackson (one of the four co-authors of Two Pair: A Quadruple or Nothing Story).


Read a review here: AskDavid

Purchase the book here:  Amazon 

Contact the author here:  Goodreads | Facebook | Blog

1 comment:

  1. Just so everyone knows, the book is available for the kindle and paperback

    -Stephanie Jackson

    ReplyDelete