Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Today I Have David Welch With Us

Hello David and welcome to my blog. Thank you for allowing me to interview you today.  Please tell me about your current novel. Who or what was your inspiration behind it?

My book, “Stop the Insanity Target 2014,” is intended as a manifesto for people fed up with our dysfunctional government in Washington and who would like to do something about it. My plan is to inspire 30-40 electable Independent candidates to run for Congress in 2014. The book describes twelve issues and offers ideas to deal with these issues. The hope is that Independent candidates can use these issues and ideas as a basis for their campaign. I also expect others who read the book to support these candidates to help them get elected.

My ‘inspiration’ was simply a disgust over the direction our government is heading and the apparent inability of either Democrats or Republicans to do what is best for the American people.

What are some of your favorite genres to read? Has this had any bearing on what you write?

I am a big Science Fiction fan. With Science Fiction we can write about a future in which the various problems in our society are successfully solved. Hopefully the ‘solutions’ in our stories will attract attention in the real world and inspire our leaders to do what is right.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What was the biggest compliment? Did those change how or what you did in your next novel?

My first, unpublished, novel was Mankind’s End, a Science Fiction story that provided ‘solutions’ to some of the world’s problems. I was strongly criticized for introducing politics into a novel. That was one reason my current book is not a novel but a manifesto that explicitly and openly deals with real world political problems. I posted drafts of Stop the Insanity on Authonomy and received a number of criticisms concerning my views on different issues such as crimiinal punishment and education. As a result I changed my ideas in some cases and in others rewrote and rewrote to make my points clearer and better documented. Authonomy members provide a great service in this regard.

 What do you look for in a book when you sit down to read for fun?

An interesting tale with credible characters. Something that makes me want to finish the story in one sitting.

 Did you get to quit your day job and become an author or do you still have a day job and writing is something you do for fun? If you still have a day job, what is it?

Actually I’m semi-retired so have lots of time to write and to promote my new book. I do help my brother in his mortgage modification business and am proud to say we have helped save the homes of more than 100 homeowners who faced foreclosure. This experience has taught me how big banks mistreat their borrowers for their own financial gain. Some of the cases we have dealt with found their way into my chapter, “Too big not to fail,” on big banks which explains how we must break up the big banks and end the revolving door between Wall Street, The Federal Reserve, and The U.S. Treasury Department.

Besides writing and reading, what is your most favorite thing to do?

Playing with and taking care of my dog, Toppy. He is a Border Collie mix and very clever and active. We walk three miles or so each day more for my benefit than his. He wakes me at 5:00 a.m. each morning so I can open the door while he goes out front and brings in the morning paper. I wrote a bunch of short stories about Toppy and put them together and posted them as a book, Tales from the Top, on Authonomy. The stories are from his viewpoint and I hope anyone reading this interview will take a look. Just search for Tales from the Top.

We all have our little things when it comes to reading, is there anything that bugs you when you read a novel? What is it?

Logical inconsistency. I hate it when the pieces don’t fit together.

What authors inspired you to write this particular book? Why?

Ron Paul Thomas Friedman

Ron Paul because I greatly respect his honesty and agree with most of his views but want to clarify where we differ.

Friedman because he has a very interesting, and mostly accurate, view of the world and writes so elegantly. Again I feel a need to put into words some ideas that differ from his.

What 7 words would you use to describe yourself.
Honest, passionate, thoughtful, stubborn, flexible, creative, and I hate to say it but a bit lazy.


Which is your favorite character in your book and why?

Actually there are no ‘characters’ in my book but in the appendix I list 16 billionaires who I believe would make great Independent Congressional candidates. I have two favorites on this list. Mark Cuban because he is a bit obnoxious but bright and articulate. I am sure existing members of Congress would not be thrilled at having to debate with Mark. Sergey Brin, the co-founder of Google because on election day he challenged whoever won, Obama or Romney, to quit their Political Party and become an Independent President acting in behalf of all Americans. What a great idea!

Is there anything else that you would like to share or say to those who will read this interview?

Of course, I’d love for them to read my book. At least read the first few chapters and then pick the issues they are interested in from the table of contents. If they agree I’d love for them to sign up for my mailing list by going to my webpage. And finally if they, or someone they know, are a good prospect to run as an Independent Congressional Candidate in 2014 please let me know.




Stop the Insanity Target 2014 by David Welch
ISBN: 978-1480117327
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing
Softcover (152 pages)
Ebook

Book Synopsis:

 A manifesto for those who are fed up with our dysfunctional government in Washington and who would like to do something about it. A plan for change and a description of twelve important issues along with ideas on how to improve our country. A must read for all independent thinking Americans who are concerned about our country and the direction it is headed. An equal opportunity criticism of both the Democratic Party and the Republican Party which have combined to create an unworkable government structure. Help save our country. Read the book and take action. For details see www.stoptheinsanitytarget2014.com

Purchase the book here: Amazon

Contact the author here: Website

1 comment:

  1. Well, that is certainly writing with an aim in view. Very interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete